Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Green Drought

Well EBMUD (our local water procurer) has instituted mandatory water use restrictions, seeing as how we're experiencing a drought year. Of course water is a scarce resource here and there's oodles more people than you can provide for so we should have been conserving all along (as was I). But my garden is already on a low water use schedule so I'm not too worried. My drought-tolerant plants will keep their leafiness very well, or just go summer-dormant. I bet all those lawn people now wish they'd listened to me. But the thing is that most lawns around are actually not planted with thirsty grasses, nevertheless they are watered on a daily basis. I just don't understand the whole lawn mentality to begin with. Just keep in mind that the geological record shows that California is capable of extremely severe droughts - droughts that could be more devastating than a major earthquake.
But on a cheerier note we made a whirlwind trip northward to Annie's and returned with a bevy of green-ness. Some highlights were a California native snapdragon, an apricot colored cosmos, milkweed, Salvia wagneriana and S. mellifera, Gilia capitata, and Luculia intermedia. I'm little nervous about the Luculia - it's apparently not terribly easy to grow. But I was of course tempted by the description - fragrant - so I'm giving Luculia a try! As usual Annie's was overflowing with all sorts of floral excitement - next time I should bring a camera! - and the chickens are always fun to listen to. The native wildflowers were overflowing with happy bees and butterflies were flitting about as well. It's a hot day, but we still spent quite a bit of time admiring everything. We would've stayed longer, but the longer we stayed the more plants I kept buying. We left while there was still lunch money to spare.

No comments: