Thursday, May 29, 2008

Epiphyllum + Botanic Forays





















Well the latest news from my garden is that my epiphyllum is blooming. I took this plant from my Great Grandmother's home after she passed away about 4 years ago. It bore three leaves, including the very long one and seemed healthy, if a bit dusty and neglected. Anyway I repotted it and the cactus responded with a flush of new green leaves. And this year it finally bloomed! Above are included some pictures.
The other plant event was a trip yesterday to both the U.C. Botanical Garden and the Regional Parks Botanical Garden. It was almost too much excitement! I sniffed the Yerba Santa flowers in bloom, saw a huge Calochortus patch, tarried amongst tropical ferns, and admired exotic orchids. But I was rather distressed to discover that the Regional Parks Garden had trimmed the bay trees in the creekside area down to the ground. The shady bench where I used to enjoy sitting is now in the sun. I dislike sitting in the sun. Why were these trees cut back so severely? Maybe there was a concern that they would fall across the trail. But that's part of walking in a forested area. I mean I think you'd notice if a bay tree started to fall. Besides, crossing the road from the parking lot to the garden entrance is much more perilous. Perhaps they had a legitimate reason, but I doubt they'll convince me of that. Despite this discovery John and I had a very enjoyable day. There's nothing like a cool day when the buckeye and elder are both in bloom. I purchased a Penstemon barbatus and a cactus from San Luis Potosi at the Garden Shop. I've also included pictures of a fascinating orchid from Oaxaca. I believe it was a species of Stanhopea. Not pictured but equally spectacular was Laelia purpurata from Brazil.