Tuesday, April 21, 2009

From the Regional Parks Sale!



I'm still recovering from the native plant frenzy of the Regional Parks Botanical Garden's once a year sale. Faithful readers will remember last year's account - a tale of milkweeds and monardella. Well, this year the sale was on a hot day, which brought manzanita-hungry and PCH Iris-lusting folks from all over the Bay Area. We lined up outside the entrance, excitement mounting as the availability lists appeared. I was surprised to see a couple of plants I'd been hoping for were not listed. But others were, including some I hadn't even imagined would be there. Soon I had a plan for what I would go after, shading my eyes from the Sun's ruthless assault as I perused the list. When the time to begin finally arrived I was able to get the plants I had hoped for! I have included some pictures of these green natives - they are still in their one gallon grower's pots, awaiting placement. Anyway, after several trips back and forth to where John stood, faithfully guarding these plants I sat down to rest. The grass was somewhat damp but I didn't mind, plants from the Sierra leafing out behind me as people passed by with boxes filled to the brim with branches and flowers. After some time the direct sunlight started to get really hot so we got in line. It moved quickly and we were soon walking down the road with our happy plants! Back here in my garden the last couple of days have proved to be uncomfortably hot - I think it hit at least 90F yesterday. Despite this everything seems to be fine. As usual I'm more distressed by the heat than the garden! As soon as it cools a bit I'll transplant my new plants. A couple of highlights from the sale - Dicentra "Bacchanal", a Western bleeding heart with intensely colored, scented flowers and a new Salvia clevelandii cultivar "Deer Spring Silver" California Salvia excitement! Also pictured here is a fern I picked up at work. I have never seen such a fluffy fern. I'm guessing it's a Nephrolepsis mutation, but if anyone thinks they recognize it and can give me a name that'd be great!

2 comments:

Deni said...

I'm afraid I can't help you in identifying your plant. Recall my track record on that is pretty bad (hiking for hours at UC botanical gardens to find a cycad in Bio 2B)! Nevertheless I enjoyed reading your post, as usual.

jet said...

I remember your tale of the elusive cycad - at least we can be certain this is not a cycad but some other primitive plant!