Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spirals of green!






So many new plants and bursts of flower... here's some highlights. At last I found a spiral aloe (Aloe polyphylla)! The presence of spiral patterns in plants and the whole Fibonacci thing is pretty interesting - I suggest reading up on it - I was fascinated. This plant is still small so it hasn't started a whole lot of spiralling yet, but if you look closely you can see it! I've also welcomed a white bleeding heart (Dicentra spectabilis) and a new Japanese maple into my green realm. The maple is one called "Shin deshojo" and displays brilliantly crimson new Spring growth (see accompanying picture of red leaves). I selected this one for its beauty of form and leaf-springing-ness. I been looking at a lot of Japanese maples lately and I have to say that Spring is as colorful as Fall for these little trees! In other garden excitement - the Cynoglossum grande I planted last year has sprung up! After it went into dormancy I was a bit worried - it was planted way too late in May - but it has recovered and is pictured here! This is a nice part shade growing wildflower I remember seeing growing under oaks in the hills. My other wildflowers are in flower - tidy-tips, cream-cups, and super-silky petalled orange California poppies! And pictured here is my awaited combination of yellow/white flowered and red hummingbird sage.

No comments: