Friday, January 9, 2009

Frost and Annuals

It's been quite a year so far - the last week temperatures dropped down to 28F and there have been quite a few mornings since with frost. I like to look at the frost as I drink my tea in the morning. I also have been busily preparing for an extravaganza of native blooms come Springtime. Since my little seedlings are still pretty small I went to Annie's and filled a wagon chock-full of native greenery. In addition to a selection of annuals I also took home a Lupinus albifrons (silvery soft leaves!) a Cirsium occidentale (spiny silvery leaves) and Digitalis obscura. Though I was careful not to say so in earshot of the plants, I have previously killed two each of the Digitalis and Lupine. But I think I know what I did wrong in these cases and have firmly resolved to not repeat these mistakes. I also had room for a Fuchsia (for Mom) and a lovely buckwheat (Eriogonum cinereum) After the excursion to Annie's we also visited the Regional Parks Botanical Garden. The garden was brimming over with manzanita bloom and chill winds (which I enjoy) So, I just planted the annuals in the ground today and transplanted more seedlings. I'll post pictures soon!

No comments: