Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ceanothus Bliss for Bees!




Here's some pictures of my very florally exuberant Ceanothus "Dark Star" The bees have been busy at the flowers all week. It's blooming early this year, but it actually started to set flower buds around November. It would seem that it knew there would be a warm spell which would coax the bees into activity. Or maybe native bees are more active in cool weather anyway. I should research this a bit more. At any rate its blooming period is coinciding with the warm spells (unfortunately another warm, dry spell is predicted) But at least the nights are cold. It was 32F this morning and 33F yesterday morning. I think the high yesterday was about 55F - not too bad. In other plant news we made a trip to the UC Botanical Garden a couple of days ago. There I encountered this beautiful fern which is pictured. I don't remember the species, but I think it was in the Polypodium genus. I believe this spore-bearing lovely hailed from Veracruz.

No comments: