Sunday, September 28, 2008

Plant Sale! - a tale of botanical excitement

Well I just finished attending the U.C. Botanical Garden's Fall plant sale - what an adventure! My faithful followers will recall that in April I posted an account of the Spring sale. This differed in some respects, one being time of year (hence the "Fall" vs. "Spring" titles), and another being time of day - evening for Spring, morning for Fall. We of course arrived for the Member's Preview Sale which began at 9am. An hour before the opening of the gate we took our place in line behind the already gathering grouping of fellow plant-hungry people! The noise level and excitement grew steadily as the crowd consumed cup after cup of free (and quite good) coffee. Remember what I said about the wine at the last sale? As it turns out I was correct and when the sale began people were excitedly lugging about their green treasures with caffeine-fueled energy. I ended up with a rather modest 10 plants, but a couple of these were a bit pricey - Michelia yunnanensis and Paeonia delavayi var. lutea. Anyway there were oodles of lovely Salvias, medicinal Chinese shrubs, pokey Cacti, and California natives, just to mention a few. After grabbing my Hoya kerrii I looked around at the houseplants and saw corpse flowers were being sold! I was tempted, but decided to wait until my greenhouse is set up. I left John at the grass section while I went back and forth gathering more green-leaved photosynthetic delights. At last we paid and made our way outward. I felt a bit overwhelmed at all the commotion of people out there - bringing plants, dropping them off, picking them up, being helped out, wagons and trucks and people crossing the street. But it all worked out and our plants with kind assistance were soon safely in the car and we were on our way! It was a lot of fun, and I now have some quite appealing specimens which I will soon be situating in their new home. But it also wore me out a bit - friends and family know how major (and minor, actually) plant related events can over-stimulate me! And this is only the beginning - Fall has arrived, which means it's time to plant! Further exploits of the upcoming native plant sale and nursery visits will be available here!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite an adventure. My life just feels so boring in comparison. . .

jet said...

You can come with us to the next plant sale if you want! It will be CA natives - if I find an Eriodictyon this year we can have a huge celebration!

Deni said...

I'd like to bring you into lab and evaluate your reactions to plant pheromones and growth hormones such as gibberellin. Seems to me you might have a genetic mutation that encodes for your olfactory receptors having an unusual affinity for many of those types of molecules, resulting in an increased production of endorphins upstairs. Maybe I could also kidnap some of your fellow plant lovers at a future sale and bring them into my lab as well (after first blindfolding them then bribing them with promises of any much sought after plant specimens they've not yet found). Oh, one more thing...poor John!! Happy planting my friend!