Saturday, September 20, 2008

Autumn Blooms





Here's a picture of some of my present garden flowers - Cuphea "Starfire" and Epilobium septrionale. I also included a picture from our latest trip to the Chihuly exhibit that I thought matched the Autumnal theme. It reminds me of falling leaves, as well as of cup fungi. Autumn is my favorite time of year, as the transition from dryness to the rain occurs. All the Winter-dormant plants going dormant while the Summer-dormant ones are ready to emerge and the nights getting colder. It's a transformational, invigorating season! And lots of Mexican Salvias go into bloom at this time as well the California native hummingbird fuchsias (Epilobium sp.) Those migrating hummingbirds need to be fed! Anyway I'm presently just enjoying all the floral excitement and beginnings of Autumn leaf color. The UC Berkeley Botanical Garden's Fall plant sale is coming up - this should be the big one. And I'm also anticipating the East Bay CNPS sale and a burgeoning of Native lovelies as the local nurseries stock up for Fall planting! So much excitement! I'll try to keep posting as I begin my usual round of Autumnal activities and observances. The Equinox is only a couple of days away!

No comments: