Thursday, April 24, 2008

Plant Sale Mania!

I thought I'd put up a quick post as I'm presently between plant sales - the Regional Parks Botanical Garden sale was on Saturday and the UC Botanical Garden Member's Preview is coming up tomorrow! The sale on Saturday was pretty exciting. Uncle Steven and Kiko met us at the sale and got some native grasses and other green goodies for their garden. We ended up with so many plants we had to get a wheelbarrow, and people were coming over to admire our exceptional horticultural taste! One uncovers heretofore hidden facets of others' personalities at an event such as a plant sale. For instance, I discovered that Uncle Steven doesn't like milkweeds - even showy ones! I'm not sure why he holds this view but nonetheless I did get a showy milkweed for my garden. And much to my unbounded excitement, at long last - Euonymus occidentalis! The Western Wahoo! (or Western Burning Bush) I first encountered this plant at Purisima Creek Redwoods and was quite taken by it's small maroon flowers and lovely green-ness. I've already planted thirteen of my new plants - further research is needed to site the rest. Another plant I'm quite excited about is Solidago californica (Goldenrod). I planted this Summer to Fall blooming yellow flower near my De la Mina Verbena. I saw this Solidago at the Santa Barbara Botanical Garden a couple of years ago and was much impressed by it. Well, time to gear up for tomorrow evening - pictures later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - I guess I missed a pretty exciting day. (That was sarcasm.)