Wednesday, March 5, 2008

New Growth Springing


This is a picture of my Golden Currant (Ribes aureum) leafing out. Though leaf-out is always a wonderful and ecstatic event this one holds special significance! I bought this Ribes in a 4" pot at a CNPS sale about 4 or 5 years ago. I put it in the ground in my old garden and promptly forgot about it until one year when it suddenly sprung up by about 5 feet and produced a profusion of lovely yellow blossoms followed by orange then red berries (tasty ones!) When we went to move this shrub was about 8 feet tall and though my intention was to take cuttings I had second thoughts. I just couldn't leave behind this wondrous tall growth! So I resolved to dig it up and take as much of the root as possible. But when I was digging disaster struck: the root broke off, leaving only 10 inches of root. 10 inches of root to 8 feet of shrub - not an encouraging ratio! Furthermore, at the time it had to be dug up it was not yet fully dormant. But I persevered and planted this shrub against a wall near my fountain. So you can imagine my delight when Spring-green leaves festooned the previously bare branches! It gives me hope that the other still dormant cuttings and transplants I took will flourish. This posting also includes a picture of my hummingbird-thrilling Showy Gooseberry (Ribes speciosum). I saw a hummingbird feeding from its brilliantly red flowers today!

No comments: