Sunday, February 8, 2009

Calochortus albus!





Well, I have been busy since my last post. A trip to Annie's, a couple of Botanical Garden excursions, and lots of transplanting of native annual seedlings. And at long last my Fairy Lantern (Calochortus albus) has bloomed! This is the first time since I bought the bulb about three or four years ago. It is quite a sight bursting forth from a pot brimming over with the blue flowers of Nemophila menzsieii. I've included a picture. Also featured is a new little succulent dish from the U.C. Botanical Garden. The little Agave is so cute! I included a US nickel and Mexican 2 peso coin to show scale. John and I decided to buy it to celebrate our Lesser Eleusinia anniversary (actually John just sort of stood there, but I took the iniative to celebrate). The Garden was quite nice, full of blooming rhododenrons and magnolias. The newts were also busy in the pond! At Annie's I picked out some wonderful native annuals and perennials. I'm especially excited about Phacelia viscida, which I've never grown before. It gets blue flowers which I'm hoping will keep the native bees happy. And very happily, it's raining again!

No comments: