Friday, October 31, 2008

Raindrops on Salvia Flowers

I'm enjoying the rain right now as a series of showers are moving through. It's a pretty warm rain - temperatures are in the 60s F range. And I'm also in the midst of a frenzy of Salvia blooming! As of this morning there are at least 13 different species in bloom. And that's not counting all the ones with flower spikes that should be blooming in the next week or so. I've had a lot of hummingbird activity (as you might imagine.) Of course there's a lot of other happy bloomers out there outside of the Lamiaceae. Abutilon palmeri and A. striatum (more on this one next post), Eccremocarpus scaber, Cuphea, Jasmine, and Datura are just a few examples. All in all the garden right now is a happy one, growing moist with Fall rains as I type! In other garden news I once again made a foray to Annie's. I mostly just picked up a few cool-season annuals, but I did make a new acquisition with which I had been previously unfamiliar. It's Moussonia elegans, a fuzzy little Gesneriad from Central America. It looks like a hummingbird drawer, since the picture showed tubular orangeish flowers. I'm hoping mine will soon bloom, as there was one there with some buds just on the verge of opening. So that's the news, as I happily watch a big dark gray cloud move toward me!

No comments: