Thursday, August 28, 2008

Shiny Glass Objects
















I recently went to the Chihuly exhibit at the DeYoung museum. And although this may not seem plant-related it actually is (as are most things with me when you get down to it) According to the signs one of the artist's influences was his mother's flower garden and I was impressed by the botanical-esque dynamism of the sculptures. Furthering my enjoyment of this exhibit was also my strong attraction to shiny green objects. I have included some of my favorite examples in the accompanying photos. There have been several botanical gardens that featured his artwork, where it nestled amongst the plants. And in another part of the museum I found flowering trees in a mural from Teotihuacan (again, photo included.) I think I actually recognize some of these, but I'm not sure.
It's been hot the last day or two, so I've been staying inside. But I did get my pre-dawn watering in for those that needed it. The Salvia involucrata just began to bloom and the Madia elegans is still going strong! And last week I snuck off to Annie's for a quick plant grab and procured a Brugmansia sanguinea. It was incredibly robust for a plant in a 4 inch pot (or for any size pot, really) with three little branches coming off and oodles of solanaceous leaves. I transplanted up to 1 gallon pot till I find a suitable larger pot. I also got some other exciting little plants, including some Penstemons!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't even remember reading about his mother's flower garden influencing him. I guess the word garden doesn't jump out at me the way it does you! I did enjoy the shiny green objects though.

jet said...

Yeah, but you probably enjoyed the shiny pink ones more. Also it might interest you to know that I consider plants to also be shiny green objects.

Deni said...

The second picture is especially attractive!