Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Raccoon Trammelled Trauma

Last night a band of marauding raccoons came through and wreaked massive damage on a small corner of my garden! I found dozens of pots overturned and plants dug up. They seem to have been digging for earthworms. But most of the plants were ok, though quite a few of them lost a lot of growth - my Malaysian ginger and Tacca are down to little green stubs! But I believe they will have sufficient powers of recovery and pull through. This just goes to show that I need a greenhouse for these plants! (plans are in the works...)
On a much more positive note I have made yet another Annie's visit and all sorts of botanical goodies are now awaiting their place in my garden! With my help Mom picked out some pink flowers and I put them in a pot for her. I'm particularly charmed by a little mallow called Sidalcea hendersonii. Delicate little pink mallow-esque flowers! And for me I finally found a Mimulus (Diplacus) aurantiacus! I'm hoping to combine it with a silver-leaf lupine and some coyote brush. The combination of monkey flower and coyote brush is all over the neighboring hills here. I also seem to remember a lupine-monkeyflower combination on Wildcat Peak.
So despite my raccoon trauma, I think my garden and I will be fine!

1 comment:

Deni said...

Likewise, I think it may have been a raccoon (or possum) that was responsible for the murder of a mocking bird family that was nesting in our berry bush. Not sure, but I have a special regard for raccoons because Neko resembles one! But I'm glad that you and your garden are ok ;)!